In November 2010, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) released the OMB Circular A-16 Supplemental Guidance. Its primary focus was on geospatial data as a capital asset and providing the foundation for a portfolio management approach to a National Geospatial Data Asset (NGDA) Portfolio. The portfolio consists of National Geospatial Data Asset Themes (NGDA Themes) and their associated National Geospatial Data Asset Datasets (NGDA Datasets).
An NGDA Dataset is an asset that has been designated as such by the Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) Steering Committee and meets at least one of the following criteria:
- Used by multiple agencies or with agency partners such as State, Tribal and local government
- Applied to achieve Presidential priorities as expressed by OMB
- Required to meet shared mission goals of multiple Federal agencies; or
- Expressly required by statutory mandate.
Portfolio management is the process of tracking, maintaining, expanding, and aligning assets to address
and solve the business needs of an enterprise. Portfolio management approaches include a number of
- Strategic portfolio planning
- Coordinated development and resource pooling
- Established goals and performance measures, indicating the benefits of each asset investment,
and how it contributes to the overarching goals (particularly completion/renewal) of the
- Investment selection criteria
- Processes for reviewing the health of, and return on, asset investments that inform investment
decisions, redistribution of resources, management of issues and mitigation of risks to the
The National Geospatial Data Asset (NGDA) Portfolio Community provides information related to the NGDA Portfolio, NGDA Portfolio Management, NGDA Themes, and NGDA Lifecycle Maturity Assessments. The NGDA Portfolio is based on the goals, objectives, and actions outlined in OMB Circular A-16 Supplemental Guidance and the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) Framework.
The NGDA Portfolio Community contains temporal reports for NGDA, NGDA Themes, NGDA Lifecycle Maturity Assessments, NGDA Roles and Responsibilities, and various other NGDA Portfolio reports.
NGDA Collaboration Community (NCC)
To gain access to NGDA Collaboration Community (NCC) or other internal Communities click the ‘Sign In’ link on the top right of this page (Note: You will be redirected to an account creation/login page). Enter your existing email and password and then click ‘Login’. If you do not have access to a Community follow the instructions at the bottom of the page.